Qualitative Data Analysis Course Using Atlas.ti
All 3 days only R10,250.00 (Excl. VAT) per delegate
About This Course
Qualitative research provides richness, contextual understanding and great depth to any research question. Researchers tend to veer away from qualitative research as a method because of its seemingly complicated research approach in data collection, analysis and interpretation. But it doesn’t have to be. Qualitative research is important because it seeks to describe, understand and explain human behaviour. It is especially powerful for understanding complex concepts such as health, power, gender or race in a more nuanced way.
Qualitative research can be used to understand the research setting, improve design and tools, as well for triangulation: better understanding, insight and interpretation of research findings. Including qualitative component in research studies is of significant essence. Therefore researchers, including quantitative researchers, should become skilled at qualitative methods.
The course objectives include helping participants achieve the overall understanding of qualitative research methodology with key focus on qualitative data analysis using ATLAS.ti.
- Overview of qualitative research methods
- Introduction to qualitative data analysis: manual coding and developing a codebook
- Short introduction to using computers for qualitative data analysis
- A gentle introduction to ATLAS.ti features – software interfaces
- Getting ready/creating a new project
- Quotations and codes
- Basic coding techniques in ATLAS.ti
- Creating and assigning codes in Atlas.ti (code families)
- Memoing and commenting
- Families and Filters
- Basic data management
- Working with ATLAS.ti
- Enhancing practical knowledge of ATLAS.ti
- More advanced techniques for analysis
- Strategies for working with own data.
The course will teach participants the following:
Introduction to qualitative data analysis
The most significant change methodology and participant observation will also be covered. Data synthesis and qualitative data analysis using software will also be covered. Specifically, participants will learn to use Atlas.ti for data analysis. The course will also cover data quality and writing up results.